What about mstest.exe /publish?

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I just developed my own solution for doing the same type of thing with MbUnit.  I'm just using the mstest.exe /publish command to push the transformed trx to TFS which seemed to be the simplest solution.  What are the benefits of this approach over that one?

Thanks!

- Jay

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM

That approach requires you to have MSTest on your build server, which isn't a simple install; you either have to copy across lots of random assemblies or go for broke and install Visual Studio on your build server. I didn't want either (I try to have as little as possible installed on my build server in case my code accidentally references something that is on my machine and the build server but not the live server) so I added a little console app to the do the upload.

Note that we don't build the XSLT into the .exe so that users who want to can do the transform themselves and use MSTest /publish.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:06 PM

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.  We already have VSTS installed on our Build Server.  I hadn't considered the assembly reference risk you mentioned.  I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2010 at 6:08 AM

Also remember that not everyone has VSTS.  I know people with only the  VS Pro edition and TFS CALs so they don't get an MSTest version with the /publish option.