[Ignore] tests are flagged as 'Not Executed' (which is a kind of failed test)

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Hi, 

lets assume that I have a NUnit test assembly that contains three tests.  Two of then complete without errors and the third one is marked with the [Ignore] attribute.  If I run these tests and push the results to TeamBuild 2010 through NUnit4TeamBuild, I then see the following in the Visual Studio Build Explorer:

2/3 test(s) passed, 1 failed, 0 inconclusive, View Test Results

Then, if I click on View Test Results, I see that I have one test that completed with the 'Not Executed' status.

Lets now assume that I have another mstest based test assembly that contains three similar test.  Two of then complete without errors and the third one is marked with the [Ignore] attribute.  If I run these with mstest and publish the results to TeamBuild, my Build Explorer displays:

2/2 test(s) passed, 0 failed, 0 inconclusive, View Test Results

As you can see the test marked with the [Ignore] attribute is totally ignored.  It's as if it never existed.

So, even though the [Ignore] attribute has the same meaning in the mstest and NUnit, the results are not the same once the results are published to TeamBuild.  

What do you think about changing the xslt used by NUnit4TeamBuild so that using the [Ignore] attribute behaves the same in both testing frameworks? If you agree, the change would simply be to change the xslt so that it skips all the tests that were ignored and do not write anything in the trx file for these tests.

Regards,

Maxime